Thursday, February 12, 2026

Local

5 NorMin radio stations face closure over expired franchise

0

Central Mindanao Newswatch - local newspaper

Share this post?

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (November 28, 2023, 8:55 pm) – Five radio stations in Northern Mindanao are subject to a cease and desist order (CDO) after their franchises were not renewed

National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) – Region 10 Director Teodoro Buenavista Jr. said their recent decision called for the closure of the five radio stations under the Fairwaves Broadcasting Network here.
“Fairwaves applied for renewal in 2018, but the House of Representatives did not move it from the committee level,” Buenavista said in an interview on Tuesday.
Fairwaves first obtained its 25-year franchise in 1995 under Republic Act 8113.
An earlier NTC decision this year recommended the recall of the frequencies assigned to Fairwaves.
The decision listed 30 stations under Fairwaves all over the country, including in this city, Misamis Oriental, and Bukidnon.
Most station names under Fairwaves carry the station name Radyo Bandera.
On Nov. 24, Radyo Bandera Iligan was among the 14 business establishments locked down by the local government for allegedly operating without business permits.
Jeoffrey Baconga, manager at DXFI FM Radyo Bandera in Villanueva, Misamis Oriental, said their operations will not be affected by the CDO because the network is now under an agreement with a new franchise operator, Palawan Broadcasting.
He said the chief executive officer of the Radyo Bandera network, Sultan Lope, is aware of the NTC decision.
Baconga added that all Bandera stations are expected to operate under Palawan Broadcasting and no longer under Fairwaves. (Nef Luczon/PNA)

Related Post

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (February 10, 2026) — Fourteen micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in Northern Mindanao received Halal certificates during the 8th Regional Halal Committee Meeting on Feb. 4 at N Hotel in Cagayan de Oro City The certifications were issued after the MSMEs completed requirements and evaluation under the Halal Certification Assistance...
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (February 11, 2026, 8:10 pm) – The Department of Health in Northern Mindanao (DOH-10) targets to reach more qualified children in rural communities to be vaccinated against measles and rubella During a media briefing on Wednesday, Dr. Elma Oclarit, head of the DOH-10 Family Center, said they have so far vaccinated...
MALAYBALAY CITY, Bukidnon – The Police Regional Office 10 (PRO-10) formally turned over eight solar lights and a water tank to an Indigenous Peoples (IP) community in Sitio Malipayon, Barangay Tagbak, Talakag, Bukidnon on February 5, 2026 Dubbed “Project Liwanag at Tubig,” the Quick Impact Project aims to improve community safety, provide access to clean...