Saturday, August 22, 2026

Local

JICA ‘not ready yet’ to fund Mindanao Railway

0

Central Mindanao Newswatch - local newspaper

Share this post?

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 15 Nov)—A Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) official said they are “not ready yet” to fund Mindanao Railway’s construction

“Actually, to be frank, we have a lot of projects in the entire Philippines, now because we are supporting the construction of the Manila subway and North–South Commuter Railway (NSCR) and so on,” JICA Philippines’ Chief Representative Takema Sakamoto said in a press conference Friday last week.

“Comparing with preparedness, actually we do not have any background information about Mindanao railway so preparedness-wise we are not ready to consider the railway project,” he added.

Notably, the Philippine government stopped seeking funding assistance from China for the construction of the Mindanao Railway, the Department of Finance (DOF) told the Chinese Embassy in Manila last October.

DOF stated in a letter to Chinese Ambassador Huang Xilian dated September 22, 2023, that the Philippines is “no longer inclined to pursue Chinese ODA financing for the Mindanao Railway Project Phase 1 Tagum-Davao-Digos Segment.”

The cause for the loan application’s withdrawal was not stated in the letter.

However, the JICA official said their “door is open” should the Philippine government be strongly interested in seeking funds from them for the construction of the Mindanao Railway.

“The door is open if the [Department of Transportation], [National Economic and Development Authority], and DOF may have a strong interest in discussing the possibility of this future [railway project continuation],” Sakamoto said.

Meanwhile, NEDA-Davao regional director Maria Lourdes Lim said the Mindanao railway project is seeking to look for other partners to continue the project.

“We have the Mindanao railway project, the Tagum-Davao-Digos segment, this is phase 1 of the railway project earlier, its current status is the right-of-way acquisition funded by the Philippine government,” Lim said.

The Mindanao Railway Project: Tagum-Davao-Digos, which is valued at P83 billion, is seen to reduce the travel time from Tagum City in Davao del Norte to Digos City, Davao del Sur from three and a half hours to an hour and a half. (Ian Carl Espinosa / MindaNews)

Related Post

SAN FERNANDO, Bukidnon (MindaNews / 13 August 2026) — With local governments fromeither side of the highway connecting Bukidnon and Davao del Norte absent to implement policepowers, vehicles could still pass through a landslide portion of the Kapalong-Talaingod-Valencia(KTV) Road at certain hours, MindaNews learned. This, despite the Department of Public Works and Highways announcing in...
MANOLO FORTICH, Bukidnon — Seventy-four former combatants of the New People’s Army(NPA) referred to as “Friends Rescued” received Safe Conduct Passes (SCPs) during a ceremonyin Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon on Aug. 11. The SCPs were distributed at the Masikhay Hall of the 1st Special Forces Battalion in BarangayMampayag as the beneficiaries continue their transition toward reintegration...
LANTAPAN, Bukidnon — The Department of Agriculture-Northern Mindanao (DA-10) hasturned over more than PhP10.9 million worth of agricultural assistance to two farmers’cooperatives and associations (FCAs) in Lantapan, Bukidnon, to boost farm mechanization,production, postharvest handling and market access In a statement, the DA-10 said the assistance provided through the DA-10 Corn Program, wasformally turned over on...