Friday, March 28, 2025

Bukidnon hits 1.4M PhilSys registrants, drives civil records up

MALAYBALAY CITY (PIA) – Civil registration in Bukidnon surged as the province reached 1.4 million Philippine Identification System (PhilSys) registrants, underscoring the key role of civil registration and demographic data in planning for health, education, and social welfare, according to Ma. Evangeline Non, chief of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)-Bukidnon

She reported that of the total registrants, over 1.3 million were individuals aged five and above, while 43,868 were children aged zero to four.


“The Civil Registration and Vital Statistics system protects individual rights, including birth registration, which is essential for citizenship and access to services,” Non said.


Valencia City led Bukidnon’s cities and municipalities in registrations, with 194,249 individuals enrolled.
Following Valencia City, Malaybalay City registered 171,627 individuals, Manolo Fortich 98,146, Quezon 93,526, and Maramag 91,731.


In contrast, Dangcagan had the fewest registrants, with 23,782, followed by Malitbog with 25,205 and Sumilao with 27,736.


In addition to PhilSys registration data, PSA-Bukidnon presented 2023 statistics on births, marriages, and deaths.


These data provide insights into population trends, aiding in the enhancement of public services.


The Philippine Identification System aims to establish a unified, secure, and efficient identification platform for Filipinos, enabling easier access to government and financial services.


With over 1.4 million Bukidnon residents registered, the province continues to move toward comprehensive national ID coverage.


(BGE/PIA 10-Bukidnon)

2 pilots found dead inside FA-50 fighter jet in Bukidnon mountain

MANILA, Philippines (12:32 PM March 05, 2025) — The remains of two pilots aboard a missing FA-50 fighter jet were found on Wednesday inside the aircraft, which crashed in the Kalatungan mountain range in the Bukidnon province

In an interview, Lt. Gen. Luis Rex Bergante, commander of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Eastern Mindanao Command, confirmed that the pilots were found around 11 a.m.

“Yes,” Bergante said when asked if the pilots were inside the aircraft.

“Just now, around 11 a.m.,” he added in Filipino, referring to the time the remains were discovered.

Bergante said they had already deployed search and rescue teams from the special forces to retrieve the pilots’ remains.

In a separate statement, Philippine Air Force (PAF) spokesperson Col. Maria Consuelo Castillo confirmed the deaths of the pilots.

“The Philippine Air Force FA-50 aircraft reported missing has been located by ground troops in the vicinity of the Mt. Kalatungan Complex, Bukidnon, today, March 5, 2025,” Castillo said.

“With deep regret and profound sadness, the PAF announces the loss of the two pilots aboard,” she also revealed.

“The PAF has grounded its FA-50 fleet and will ensure a thorough investigation into the accident,” she added.

According to Castillo, PAF has sent its condolences to the bereaved families and will provide necessary support “during this difficult time.”

“We also request the nation’s prayers for the eternal repose of our fallen pilots, whose service and heroism we deeply honor,” she concluded.

Earlier, the PAF official reported that the FA-50 fighter jet went missing during a tactical night operation shortly after midnight on March 4.

Castillo said the FA-50 carrying two pilots was supposed to land at Mactan Airbase in Cebu, but the jet lost communication with one of its fellow aircraft “minutes before reaching the target area.”

The PAF has 11 remaining FA-50s in its arsenal after retiring some of its fighters in 2005.

All the FA-50s were acquired from Korea Aerospace Industries for P18.9 billion during the administration of Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino Jr.

Over in Davao City, Lt. Col. Salvacion Evangelista, spokesperson of the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ Eastern Mindanao Command, held a separate press briefing on Wednesday morning about the tragedy.

For his part, Lt. Col. Francisco Garello Jr., spokesperson of the Army’s 4th Infantry Division, said the jet crashed in the mountains of Barangay Miarayon in Talakag town.

“Also, [we confirm that] the bodies of two pilots were found near the wreckage of [the] FA-50,” Garello said in a Viber message.

Garello added that the troops of the 1st Special Forces Battalion under the Army’s 403rd Infantry Brigade reached the crash site on Wednesday morning.

The ill-fated jet was part of a mission called in on Monday night to provide air support to government troops battling communist rebels in Bukidnon.

The PAF said the jet, which flew out of the Benito Ebuen Airbase in Mactan, lost communication past midnight on Tuesday as it was nearing the target area.

Amid gloomy weather, soldiers brought in by a military chopper and civilian volunteers scoured the Kalatungan range on Tuesday to search for the missing aircraft and its pilots. (Faith Argosino, Joselle R. Badilla – @inquirerdotnetInquirer Mindanao, INQUIRER.net )

Agri-10 4K Boosts Production, Livestock Support for IPs

MALAYBALAY CITY, Bukidnon — The Department of Agriculture – Northern Mindanao (DA-10) is enhancing its support for indigenous peoples (IPs) in Bukidnon province through various agricultural programs and services

On January 9, under its Kabuhayan at Kaunlaran para sa Kababayang Katutubo (4K) program, the agency turned over PhP480,000 worth of carabaos to IP groups in Impasugong town.

The beneficiaries include the Ananaso Pigbuligaan Farmers’ Association (APFA) of Sitio Ananaso, Brgy. Dumalaguing, and the Kapunongan sa mga Mag-uuma sa Ulayanon (KAMAU) of Sitio Ulayanon, Brgy. Kalabugao.

Each group received six carabaos (five female, one male), which the IP farmer-beneficiaries withdrew from DA-10’s Northern Mindanao Agricultural Crops and Livestock Research Complex. (pr)

DOH-CHDNM to Introduce Shorter TB Treatment Regimen

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (January 10, 2025) – The Department of Health-Center for Health Development Northern Mindanao (DOH-CHDNM) is set to reduce tuberculosis (TB) treatment duration from the traditional six months to four months.

DOH-CHDNM will launch a capacity-building program for health workers in 2025, focusing on a shorter TB regimen for patients aged three months to 16 years.

During a press conference on Universal Health Care Day, Dr. Wellaflor Kindom-Brito, head of the infectious diseases cluster at DOH-CHDNM, announced the implementation of a six-month short regimen for drug-resistant tuberculosis.

Brito added that oral tuberculosis treatment will be the only option. “We expect that with advancements in medication, patient adherence to treatment will improve, reducing instances of patients stopping or failing to follow up on treatment,” she said.

DOH data indicate that tuberculosis deaths in Region 10 reached 285 in 2020, 250 in 2021, 295 in 2022, and 390 in 2023. In the third quarter of 2024 alone, there were 375 TB deaths in the region.

Brito noted that the rising TB mortality rate is partly due to increasing TB cases. Poor health-seeking behavior also contributes to the higher mortality rate, as patients often seek medical help too late when their condition has worsened. Additionally, poor adherence to medication exacerbates the issue.

“Some patients experience adverse reactions to the medication, leading them to stop treatment altogether, while others move residences, interrupting their treatment,” Brito explained. She emphasized that TB treatment, unlike typical antibiotic regimens, lasts from six months to two years.

Brito expressed optimism that the new treatment changes would enhance TB patients’ adherence to medication. (Jasper Marie O. Rucat/PIA-10)

Bukidnon logs over 5,000 dengue cases since January 2024

Over 5,000 dengue cases have been recorded in Bukidnon from January to August 2024

According to the Provincial Health Office (PHO), the 5,099 dengue cases recorded in the province are higher than the 4,000 cases logged in the same period in 2023.

PHO said at least 17 people have died from dengue in the province. However, there is no outbreak of the disease just yet.

Authorities have also yet to discuss the declaration of a state of calamity.

PHO said Malaybalay City has the most cases, with 926, followed by Valencia City, with 508. These cities have two reported deaths each.

With the rising number of dengue cases, the local government of Malaybalay City has conducted fogging operations in areas where dengue cases were reported.

PHO also distributed treated mosquito nets to some schools to fend off dengue-carrying mosquitoes.

“Kung di ka mag-cleanup unya mag-fogging mao ra gihapon mobalik ra gihapon ang lamok kay di man kasulod ang aso sa tubig, so clean up gyud ta,” Bukidnon PHO Dengue Coordinator, Sergio Flores, said.

Health authorities reminded the public to practice the 5S habit against dengue, which includes search and destroy, self-protection, seeking early consultation, supporting fogging, and sustaining hydration. — (James Paolo Yap/GMA Regional TV/August 19, 2024)

Army confirms 9 terrorists involved in Marawi blast killed in Lanao del Sur

The Philippine Army on Saturday, January 27, confirmed the death of nine members of the Dawlah Islamiyah terrorist organization involved in the bombing of Dimaporo gymnasium inside the Mindanao State University in Marawi City

Army Public Affairs chief, Col. Louie Dema-ala, said the operating troops from the 3rd Scout Ranger Battalion, under the 103rd Infantry (Haribon) Brigade of the 1st Infantry Division, engaged in a series of firefight with heavily armed Dawlah Islamiya members from Thursday to Friday this week, in Barangay Tapurong, Piagapo, Lanao del Sur.

“The Army troops were able to neutralize nine local terrorist members and recovered eight high-powered firearms. Neutralized individuals were identified as perpetrators of the fatal MSU bombing on December 3, 2023,” Dema-ala told reporters.

Four soldiers were hurt during the encounters, which were triggered by the military’s internal security operations.

Dema-ala said the soldiers were immediately transported to the Amai Pakpak Medical Center in Marawi City “to acquire urgent medical attention.”

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the four soldiers who sustained injuries during the said operation. We remain committed to ensuring their swift recovery,” Dema-ala said. (Lade Jean Kabagani/tribune.net.ph)

Valencia records 13th COVID-19 related death

MALAYBALAY CITY (March 03) – Another resident of the city has died due to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) related complications on March 2.

The fatality is confirmed case no. 548, a 67-year old female, a resident of Purok 6, Brgy. Laligan, with no travel history and experienced shortness of breathing.

She was one of the 22 confirmed cases reported on Feb. 18.

Mr. Sammy Langub, information officer of the city government, on March 3, said the senior citizen died while under medical care at Bukidnon Provincial Medical Center (BPMC) in Malaybalay City.

He disclosed that the 13th fatality was buried at the New City Public Cemetery in Purok 4, Brgy. Poblacion on March 2, the day she died.

As of March 2, Valencia has recorded total confirmed cases of 589 with 32 active cases due to 11 new cases, 544 total recoveries, and 13 deaths.

Meanwhile, Mr. Langub said Valencia is a pilot in the first inoculation program of the government. He said, most likely, the vaccination for health frontliners in the city will be held next week upon the arrival of the vaccines.

On March 1, the national government has started the first inoculation program in Manila using the Sinovac vaccine donated by China government. The 600,000 doses of the vaccine delivered in the country on Feb. 28.

The national government said the vaccine intended for Mindanao will be delivered in Davao City on March 5 to 6.

Mr. Langub said they are expecting that from Davao City, the vaccines will be transported to Valencia City soon.