Sunday, August 23, 2026

Local

Spike in fever cases in NorMin not linked to Nipah

0

Central Mindanao Newswatch - local newspaper

Share this post?

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – Officials of the Department of Health in Northern Mindanao (DOH-10) on September 27 said the spike in fever cases in the region is not linked to the Nipah virus

DOH-10 director Dr. Ellenietta Gamolo said from Jan. 1 to Sept. 26 this year, a total of 18,364 cases were reported, as compared to 12,996 cases in the same period in 2022.

Gamolo, however, maintained that these cases of fever are not in any way linked to the Nipah virus.

“There are no laboratory results confirming cases of Nipah in the country and here in the region,” she said in a press briefing here.

Gamolo said the fever cases, considered as influenza-like illnesses (ILI), share similar signs and symptoms with other viral infections.

She also said such cases of ILI may be attributed to ordinary flu or coronavirus disease 2019.

Meanwhile, Dr. Stephanie Grace Zamora, DOH-10 senior medical officer, said they would recommend schools in this city to have their students experiencing ILI be tested.

“The easiest would be testing through antigen tests,” she said.

Earlier this week, several schools in the city announced that they would be reverting to online classes due to a spike in fever cases among their students.

In another development, Mayor Rolando Uy on Wednesday issued a new order reimposing the observance of the minimum health protocols in public places and transportation. (Nef Luczon/PNA)

Related Post

SAN FERNANDO, Bukidnon (MindaNews / 13 August 2026) — With local governments fromeither side of the highway connecting Bukidnon and Davao del Norte absent to implement policepowers, vehicles could still pass through a landslide portion of the Kapalong-Talaingod-Valencia(KTV) Road at certain hours, MindaNews learned. This, despite the Department of Public Works and Highways announcing in...
MANOLO FORTICH, Bukidnon — Seventy-four former combatants of the New People’s Army(NPA) referred to as “Friends Rescued” received Safe Conduct Passes (SCPs) during a ceremonyin Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon on Aug. 11. The SCPs were distributed at the Masikhay Hall of the 1st Special Forces Battalion in BarangayMampayag as the beneficiaries continue their transition toward reintegration...
LANTAPAN, Bukidnon — The Department of Agriculture-Northern Mindanao (DA-10) hasturned over more than PhP10.9 million worth of agricultural assistance to two farmers’cooperatives and associations (FCAs) in Lantapan, Bukidnon, to boost farm mechanization,production, postharvest handling and market access In a statement, the DA-10 said the assistance provided through the DA-10 Corn Program, wasformally turned over on...