Friday, August 21, 2026

Local

Spike in fever cases in NorMin not linked to Nipah

0

Central Mindanao Newswatch - local newspaper

Share this post?

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – Officials of the Department of Health in Northern Mindanao (DOH-10) on September 27 said the spike in fever cases in the region is not linked to the Nipah virus

DOH-10 director Dr. Ellenietta Gamolo said from Jan. 1 to Sept. 26 this year, a total of 18,364 cases were reported, as compared to 12,996 cases in the same period in 2022.

Gamolo, however, maintained that these cases of fever are not in any way linked to the Nipah virus.

“There are no laboratory results confirming cases of Nipah in the country and here in the region,” she said in a press briefing here.

Gamolo said the fever cases, considered as influenza-like illnesses (ILI), share similar signs and symptoms with other viral infections.

She also said such cases of ILI may be attributed to ordinary flu or coronavirus disease 2019.

Meanwhile, Dr. Stephanie Grace Zamora, DOH-10 senior medical officer, said they would recommend schools in this city to have their students experiencing ILI be tested.

“The easiest would be testing through antigen tests,” she said.

Earlier this week, several schools in the city announced that they would be reverting to online classes due to a spike in fever cases among their students.

In another development, Mayor Rolando Uy on Wednesday issued a new order reimposing the observance of the minimum health protocols in public places and transportation. (Nef Luczon/PNA)

Related Post

MARAMAG, Bukidnon – A significant step toward strengthening community-based economicdevelopment was marked as eighteen People’s Organizations (POs) in the Municipality of SanFernando received a combined ₱6.14 million in Sustainable Livelihood Program (SLP) grantsfrom the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) during a ceremonial turnoverheld on 23 July 2026 at the Barangay Halapitan Tourism Eco...
SUMILAO, Bukidnon – For decades, Sumilao town’s anniversary celebration followed a familiarscript of speeches, parades, and civic programs. This year, however, the local governmenttransformed the streets into an open-air stage as young residents brought the town’s 70-yearhistory to life through dance during the maiden Sidlak Festival Dance Competition early thisJuly Instead of performing routine dance...
VALENCIA CITY, Bukidnon (PIA) — Valencia City strengthened the disaster responsecapabilities of barangay rescue teams and emergency responders through the 6th RescueMERGE (Massive Emergency Response Group Exercise), reinforcing local preparedness andinter-agency coordination in observance of National Disaster Resilience Month. The exercise, themed “Golden Harvest Rescue Olympics and Fire Suppression” gathered rescueteams from barangays and government...