Friday, November 28, 2025

Local

4 injured in fireworks factory blast in Bukidnon

0

Central Mindanao Newswatch - local newspaper

Share this post?

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (Dec. 30, 2023) – Four individuals – two men and two women – sustained second-and third-degree burns in an alleged explosion in a fireworks factory in Balangay 9, Barangay Poblacion, Quezon, Bukidnon, on Friday, December 29

The victims were taken to the Simbulan Hospital in the neighboring municipality of Don Carlos, Bukidnon, and are in stable condition, the Bukidnon Police Provincial Office said.

Initial investigation said that the victims were allegedly engaged in the production of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices prior to the explosion. The assistance of the Explosive Ordnance
Disposal was needed as authorities wanted to conduct an in-depth investigation and assess the legality of the establishment.

Quezon police Chief Major Noel Cano said they are still waiting for verification from the Firearms and Explosives Office at the Police Regional Office-10 to determine if the establishment is registered to produce firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices.

“If they are not registered, we will check the legal remedy or legal action that we can take\ against them so that the victims can benefit,” Cano told the Manila Bulletin on Saturday, December 30.

Cano added that the victims were manufacturing fireworks that will allegedly be used for the New Year countdown of the local government unit of Quezon. He said they are looking into this as the fireworks should be ordered and they should not be manufacturing them.

The EOD, together with the Bureau of Fire Protection, has cleared the area of possible hazardous materials. No houses were affected as the area is isolated.

The Department of Health-Northern Mindanao (DOH-10) has recorded nine cases of firecracker-related injuries in the region as of December 29 – three cases each from Bukidnon and this city, two from Misamis Occidental, and one from Iligan City.

The agency recorded 10 cases of firecracker-related incidents from December 21 to January 6 last year.

Cases in Quezon, Bukidnon, have yet to be included since they still need to be validated by the reporting unit, said DOH-10 officer-in-charge Dr. Ellenietta Herunaidna Maria Victoria Gamolo in a text message on Saturday.

On December 12, the DOH-10 released a memorandum to all its personnel, including development management officers, human resources for health, contract of service personnel, DOH hospitals, medical health centers, and other health agencies to implement Code White Alert from December 21 to January 6, for the observance of the Yuletide season and Fireworks Related Injury (FWRI) surveillance, including firecracker-related tetanus cases, until January 21.

Under Code White Alert, DOH-10 response teams and committees “shall be on standby, on-call, and report to the office immediately in case of any emergency situation.”

As part of the safety precautions to ensure that no illicit firecrackers and pyrotechnic materials are supplied to the public, especially to youngsters, random inspections in markets and other locations will be strictly enforced, the Bukidnon police said in a statement on Saturday. (Frank Dick Rosete/Manila Bulletin)

Related Post

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (November 20, 2025, 7:58 pm) – Bukidnon province observed National Children’s Month this November by reaffirming its commitment to enforce laws against the production of Child Sexual Abuse or Exploitation Material (CSAEM) and the cases of online sexual abuse or exploitation of children (OSAEC) In the province’s Malaybalay City on Thursday,...
MALAYBALAY CITY, Bukidnon (09:45 PM November 22, 2025) — The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) Revenue District Office (RDO) No. 99 ramped up its year-end tax compliance campaign aimed at strengthening taxpayer awareness and improving accuracy in financial reporting ahead of the close of the fiscal year RDO 99 held several sessions that drew business...
MANILA, Philippines (November 21, 2025 | 12:00am) — A temporary detour along a collapsed road section in Quezon, Bukidnon has been opened to motorists, according to the Department of Public Works and Highways The DPWH said the opening of the temporary road in Barangay Palacapao allows limited passage for motorists and residents while repair is...