Saturday, August 22, 2026

Local

Artificial sweeteners seen as ‘Real Threat’ to PH sugar industry

0

Central Mindanao Newswatch - local newspaper

Share this post?

QUEZON, Bukidnon — Quezon Mayor Pablo Lorenzo III, who also serves as president and chairman emeritus of the Associated Sugarcane Farmers Inc. (ABSFI) and the Associated Bukidnon Sugarcane Farmers Multi-Purpose Cooperative (ABSFMPC), said sugar millers are sounding the alarm over the worsening oversupply of raw sugar in the country as the industry confronts what they described as its most serious threat yet—not imported sugar, but the surge of artificial sweeteners dominating the local market

The concerns were raised during the 23rd Joint Annual Assembly of ABSFI and ABSFMPC held on November 16 at the Quezon Civic Arena, Bukidnon’s largest indoor venue.

A total of 8,019 members packed the arena, marking the cooperatives’ second major assembly at the new site.

Industry leaders reported that inventory levels have risen sharply, destabilizing prices and straining mills.

They said the oversupply has been aggravated by the widespread shift to synthetic sweeteners—sucralose, aspartame, and acesulfame among them—which have replaced significant volumes of locally produced sugar in the food and beverage sector.

More than one million metric tons of sugar equivalent from these substitutes entered the Philippine market last year, Lorenzo said, severely weakening demand for natural sugar and hitting farmers’ incomes.

While cheaper, millers warned these products carry potential health risks and undermine the sustainability of the domestic sugar industry.

Refining capacity remains another major hurdle. The Philippines refined only 618,000 metric tons last year, far below national requirements.

Plans are underway to raise capacity to at least 800,000 metric tons to ease the raw sugar glut and help stabilize prices.

Officials also floated the possibility of reviving the US export quota to reduce domestic oversupply.

Industry leaders stressed that the growing dominance of synthetic sweeteners—more than foreign sugar imports—now poses the most immediate and pressing threat to the future of the Philippine sugar sector. (Mel N. Velez/Bukidnon Dispatch)

Related Post

SAN FERNANDO, Bukidnon (MindaNews / 13 August 2026) — With local governments fromeither side of the highway connecting Bukidnon and Davao del Norte absent to implement policepowers, vehicles could still pass through a landslide portion of the Kapalong-Talaingod-Valencia(KTV) Road at certain hours, MindaNews learned. This, despite the Department of Public Works and Highways announcing in...
MANOLO FORTICH, Bukidnon — Seventy-four former combatants of the New People’s Army(NPA) referred to as “Friends Rescued” received Safe Conduct Passes (SCPs) during a ceremonyin Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon on Aug. 11. The SCPs were distributed at the Masikhay Hall of the 1st Special Forces Battalion in BarangayMampayag as the beneficiaries continue their transition toward reintegration...
LANTAPAN, Bukidnon — The Department of Agriculture-Northern Mindanao (DA-10) hasturned over more than PhP10.9 million worth of agricultural assistance to two farmers’cooperatives and associations (FCAs) in Lantapan, Bukidnon, to boost farm mechanization,production, postharvest handling and market access In a statement, the DA-10 said the assistance provided through the DA-10 Corn Program, wasformally turned over on...