Thursday, April 03, 2025

LPA leaves 7 dead, P22-M worth of damage in NorMin

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – The two-week rains caused by a low-pressure area (LPA) in Northern Mindanao affected 59,000 individuals, left seven dead, and damaged more than PHP22 million worth of properties.

 

In the initial report by the Region 10 Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (RDRRMC-10) on January 15, 15,812 families experienced flooding.

In evacuation centers throughout the region, only 4,432 individuals or 1,227 families have remained as of Sunday out of the 31,353 individuals or 8,621 families who sought shelter within the two weeks period.

The seven dead were from the provinces of Lanao del Norte, four; Misamis Oriental, two; and Misamis Occidental, one.

RDRRMC-10 also recorded five injured and two missing persons.

The initial estimate of damaged houses reached PHP2.1 million, damage to infrastructures PHP20.8 million, and damage to agriculture PHP63.7 million.

Department of Agriculture-10 (DA-10) will provide PHP5,000 in financial assistance to rice farmers in February, to be sourced from the Rice Competitiveness Enhancement Fund.

“We will (also) be distributing the fertilizer discount vouchers for the whole region, which total around PHP192 million. And for the RFFA (Rice Farmers Financial Assistance), we have PHP96 million to be disbursed and the funds are already deposited with the DBP (Development Bank of the Philippines) account,” DA-10 executive director Carlene Collado said during the visit of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Jan. 11.

Marcos directed the Department of Public Works and Highways to review flood control measures.

Gratitude

Heavily affected Misamis Occidental and Misamis Oriental experienced a repeat of nature’s wrath that submerged parts of the provinces on Christmas Eve last year.

Victims of the twin calamities were relieved to receive government aid.

“I am glad about the help extended to us, especially since we almost had nothing (salvaged from the flood),” Erminia Bernaldes said in the vernacular during the distribution of PHP5,000 in cash assistance and food packs in Gingoog City, Misamis Oriental, led by President Marcos.

Rolly Egoc of Oroquieta City, Misamis Occidental, said his house in Barangay Talic was washed away on Dec. 26, 2022.

“We don’t have a house anymore, so we went to the barangay for refuge. I am now 55 years old and it is only now that I experienced this flood,” he said.

Given a chance to talk to the President, he said he would request assistance to rebuild his house. (Nef Luczon/PNA)

Investments in NorMin still up despite COVID-19, says NEDA

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, (March 1/PIA) – “For the last year 2020, our Board of Investments (BOI) in region 10 reported that we have investment pledges amounting to P32 billion. We are [ranked] no. 4 nationwide and no. 1 in Visayas and Mindanao area, indicating that our investors have confidence in our region,” said National Economic Development Authority (NEDA)-10 Regional Director Mylah Faye Aurora Cariño.

In a recently held virtual press conference of the Northern Mindanao Inter-Agency Task Force for COVID-19, Cariño said the investors are still interested in putting up their investments in the region despite the threat of COVID-19.

Among the projects approved as reported by BOI are the expansions of energy generating companies and a medical service [company].

Cariño also shared that many investors had processed their proposed investments in 2020 but were affected by the pandemic; however, they have resumed this year.

“Aside from those projects, a medical facility in Bukidnon might also open this year, and a food [company] is under negotiation and has resumed its processing this year. PHIVIDEC also has several projects in the pipelines, and they have approved the University of Science and Technology of Southern Philippines (USTP) to put up a campus at Villanueva, Misamis Oriental, which will boost further the confidence of industries in our region,” she added.

The lady NEDA-10 director sees region 10 can recover following the re-opening of its economy (JAKA/PIA10).

New Year revelries ‘peaceful’ in Northern Mindanao

The Police Regional Office in Region 10 ( has reported zero incidents of firecracker-related injuries as well as indiscriminate firing during the New Year.

New Year revelries ‘peaceful’ in Northern Mindanao
Fireworks explode over the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House in the midnight display during New Year’s Eve celebrations. Getty Images

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (Jan. 01, 2020) – The Police Regional Office in Region 10 (PRO-10) has reported zero incidents of firecracker-related injuries as well as indiscriminate firing during the New Year revelries.

This despite the seizure of illegal firecrackers and pyrotechnics by the various police units around Northern Mindanao, PRO-10 said in a statement on January 1.
Brig. Gen. Rolando Anduyan, PRO-10 director, described the New Year celebration as “peaceful and injury-free,” thanking the public for cooperating with authorities.
Anduyan, however, noted that PRO-10 recorded two cases of “illegal discharge of firearms” in Camiguin and Bukidnon provinces, resulting in the seizure of two calibers .45 pistols and ammunition.

PRO-10 said the two suspects were all drunk during the incidents, and appropriate charges have been filed against them.

As of 6 a.m. on January 1, PRO-10 said police in the region seized hundreds of illegal firecrackers in the Misamis Oriental towns of Opol, Villanueva, Manticao, and Magsaysay; in Misamis Occidental cities of Ozamiz and Tangub City; and in Bukidnon city of Valencia.

Anduyan said PRO-10 deployed around 1,304 police officers on the field for general law enforcement and public safety duties. (Nef Luczon/PNA)