Thursday, April 03, 2025

DA-NorMin, seed companies prep for upcoming wet cropping corn derby

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – To give farmers an informed basis on their preferred varieties towards attaining increased yield and income, the Department of Agriculture – Northern Mindanao (DA-10) convened with the representatives from the private seed companies on April 27 for this year’s conduct of a series of corn derby highlighting hybrid yellow and white corn cultivars for this upcoming wet cropping season in mid-May

Implemented by the Field Operations and Research divisions, DA-10 Regional Executive Director Carlene C. Collado remarked that the conduct of corn derbies remains relevant, as the department constantly seeks to achieve food and feed self-sufficiency.

Reinforcing the importance of said activity, the agri chief executive added that the results of the derby may play a significant influence in the selection of performing cultivars by corn farmers across varied agronomic conditions.

Which, eyed location sites for the showcase are the agency’s research complex (Northern Mindanao Agricultural Crops and Livestock Research Complex) in Dalwangan, Malaybalay City, Bukidnon, and its research centers in Barongcot, Dangcagan, Bukidnon (Research Center for Upland Development) and in Lanise, Claveria, Misamis Oriental (Research Center for Hillyland Development).

Dir. Collado furthered that the corn derbies will also help in determining the promising corn varieties, as it is one of the department’s bases in the procurement of corn seeds with a current year allocation of Php265.2-million for hybrid yellow corn alone.

Committing to engage in such exhibits and in attendance are from Syngenta Philippines, Inc., Bayer, Bioseed Research Philippines, Corteva Agriscience, Asian Hybrid Seed Tech, Inc., Vigour Seeds Dev., Inc., and RJR Agro-Industrial Enterprises.

While the participating seed companies have signified to pour their efforts to feature their exceptional corn varieties in different topographies, DA-10 Regional Corn focal person Richan D. Lacanaria enjoined for an intensified coordination between their team and the agri department, in the hopes of properly keeping and tracking records of the performance of all corn variety entries.

On the other hand, the research division assured by providing the outcome of the derbies in the near future, especially so that cost and return analysis plays a large role in evaluating a particular corn cultivar.

As agreed, a total of 15 hybrid yellow corn varieties and 2 hybrid white corn cultivars are set to be planted in both NMACLRC and RCUD, while targeted in RCHD are 14 hybrid yellow corn varieties and 1 hybrid white corn cultivar. (JLO/DA RFO-10)

DOH-10 intensifies immunization vs measles, rubella, polio

MISAMIS ORIENTAL (PIA) – The Department of Health (DOH)-10 aims to further increase the immunization status of children in Northern Mindanao with the conduct of a month-long immunization campaign against measles, rubella, and polio this May

According to the health department, immunization coverage for children aged 0–59 months had lowered during the COVID-19 pandemic, leading to a pool of populations that are susceptible to measles infection. It was also noted that this year, an increase in suspected cases of measles was recorded.

“Nakita namo nga adunay 18% increase sa suspected cases of measles sa rehiyon karon (We have seen that there is an 18% increase in suspected cases of measles in the region today),” DOH-10 Local Health Support Division Chief David Mendoza said.

Mendoza explained that in the same period last year, they only recorded 69 suspected measles cases compared to this year’s 82. There were also no laboratory-confirmed cases last year compared to this year’s three laboratory-confirmed cases: one for measles and two for rubella.

The DOH-10 hopes that the supplemental immunization activity they are conducting against measles, rubella, and polio can help beef up the immunization coverage of the region and prevent a possible outbreak of such vaccine-preventable diseases.

Mendoza added that to strengthen the immunization campaign, fixed sites, and house-to-house initiatives are done throughout the region to make sure that all eligible individuals will be vaccinated and no children will be left behind.

In the vaccination sites, regardless of the vaccination status, oral polio immunization is available for children aged 0–59 months, while measles-rubella immunization can be availed of by children aged 9–59 months.

As the government extends its efforts to protect the children, the health department admits that their efforts together with the various agencies and local government units are futile without the support and participation of the public, especially the parents and guardians and that to combat the possible spread or outbreak of measles, rubella, and polio, it will take a whole-of-society approach.

DOH-10 urges parents and guardians to allow their children to get immunizations for added protection. Protecting children against any vaccine-preventable disease should be a priority for each parent and guardian. (JAKA/PIA-10)

DA-10 exec discusses agri interventions supporting transitions from arms to farms

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – Department of Agriculture – Northern Mindanao (DA-10) OIC-Regional Executive Director Carlene C. Collado convened with officials from the Regional Mobile Force Battalion (RMFB) 10 and National Police Commission (NAPOLCOM) 10 on March 28, 2023, at the agency compound

In PLTCOL Isralene Z. Lauren of RMFB 10 and NAPOLCOM 10 assistant regional director Atty. Ramon E. Dela Cruz’s courtesy visit to the department, PTCOL Lauren shared their intent to introduce former rebels (FRs) into farming.

Dir. Collado cited various interventions that DA-10 can offer, ranging from production support services, agricultural machinery and equipment, extension support, education and training services, and market development, among others which can be extended to both the uniformed forces and FRs.

“To guide the surrenderees into a progressive lifestyle, the agency can provide seed assistance for urban gardening, which will be a great avenue to start a small business and even help them in food security and sustainability. We can also ask for the services of our agriculturists and the Agricultural Training Institute (ATI) for the conduct of trainings that can introduce them to more opportunities in agriculture,” the agri chief exec said.

Also recognizing the colonel’s plans on implementing agriculture approaches into RMFB’s Revitalized Pulis sa Barangay program, mainly to avert insurgencies, the director further encouraged PLTCOL Lauren to submit project proposals seeking DA-10’s interventions and further assured the department’s support to the goal of transforming arms to farms. (RLTolentino/DA-10)

8 guerilla fronts dismantled, 800 rebels ‘neutralized’

MALAYBALAY CITY – In partnership with the Task Force on Ending Local Communist Armed Conflict (TF-ELCAC), the Army’s 4th Infantry Division (4ID) said it has dismantled eight New People’s Army (NPA) guerilla fronts and “neutralized” more than 800 rebels operating in Northern Mindanao and Caraga in the past two years

In a statement on March 29, 2023, Maj. Gen. Jose Maria R. Cuerpo II, commander of the 4ID, said since 2021, an NPA sub-regional committee and an independent rebel platoon were also dismantled.

Among those dismantled were the NPA North Eastern Mindanao Regional Committee and North Central Mindanao Regional Committee (NCMRC).

“The people are fed up and tired of the deception and exploitation of the NPA. People are more interested and focused on the peace and developmental projects, as well as the various services that the government has delivered,” Cuerpo said.

In addition, 362 government-initiated encounters have led to the neutralization of 885 NPA combatants.

In military parlance, “neutralize” includes the capture and surrender of an NPA rebel, as well as the seizure of firearms.

Cuerpo said the 4ID managed to seize 766 firearms and overran 234 NPA hideouts during the period.

The latest in the series of encounters transpired in remote Barangay San Juan, Bayugan City on March 27, which resulted in the death of two more rebels.

“More (NPA) members and even leaders have given up and surrendered,” Cuerpo said.

With the support of residents, the Army official assured that the 4ID would continue its intensified focused military operations against the communist rebels and collaborate with other government agencies under the TF-ELCAC.

New surrenders

Meanwhile, the Police Regional Office 10 (Northern Mindanao) on Monday accepted the surrender of three NPA rebels in its headquarters in Cagayan de Oro City who also brought with them their firearms.

The surrenderers were only identified as “Janile,” 27, a political guide; “Arwin,” 25, a female supply officer; and “Aya,” 21, another female rebel acting as a medical officer.

They belonged to the NPA NCMRC operating in Talakag town and other border towns between Bukidnon and Lanao del Sur provinces. (Nef Luczon/PNA)

NorMin police seize P2.2-M ‘shabu,’ marijuana in March

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – The Police Regional Office (PRO) 10 (Northern Mindanao) has seized suspected shabu and marijuana plants with an estimated street value of PHP2.2 million for this month alone

In a statement on the afternoon of March 30, 2023, the PRO-10 said their latest operation led to the confiscation of suspected shabu valued at PHP737,800 in the towns of Maramag and Valencia towns in Bukidnon.

On March 29, 2023, operatives of the Bukidnon Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit arrested Orlando Obial, the sixth most wanted drug personality in Maramag town.

Recovered from him were shabu valued at PHP329,000 and other drug paraphernalia.

Meanwhile, the PRO-10’s Special Operations Unit – Provincial Drug Enforcement Group also uprooted more than PHP1.5 million worth of 7,500 marijuana plants in Barangay Guinuyoran, Valencia City on March 24.

No cultivator was apprehended but all uprooted marijuana plants were burned.

Gen. Lawrence Coop, PRO-10 director, has warned cultivators to stop growing marijuana plants as this is considered illegal under the Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

“The penalty of life imprisonment to death and a fine ranging from PHP500,000 to PHP10,000,000 shall be imposed upon any person who shall plant, cultivate, or culture marijuana, opium poppy, or any other plant regardless of quantity,” he said.

In this city, anti-narcotics operatives also conducted a buy-bust operation resulting in the arrest of Christopher Lorenzo of Barangay Carmen earlier this week.

Confiscated from the suspect were PHP408,000 worth of suspected shabu. (Nef Luczon/PNA)

CHO celebrates Rabies Awareness Month; Malaybalay records zero case of human rabies in 2022

Rabies is one of the deadly diseases and considered one of the public health concerns

As part of the health promotion and advocacy of the Rabies Prevention Control Program of the Center for Health and Development – Northern Mindanao in coordination with Bukidnon Provincial Health Office and Malaybalay City Health Office (CHO), a Rabies Awareness Caravan was conducted on March 16, 2023, at Loiza’s Pavilion, Casisang, Malaybalay City.

This activity aims to increase awareness about rabies infection, prevention, control, and elimination.

The said event started with a motorcade from City Health Office to Capitol then Loizas Pavilion where a forum was held.

A total of 145 participants attended the launching each represented by Barangay Kapitan, Kagawad on Health, Chief BPSO, Midwife, and BHW president from all Poblacion 1, selected Poblacion 2, and Highway District Barangays.

Provincial Health Office II, Dr. Gary Guido C. Tabios, Jr., welcomed the guests and participants. Then followed by an inspirational message from Dr. Vincent C. Raguro, MPH (Provincial Department of Health Office Bukidnon – Development Management Officer V).

With the theme “Rabies- Free na Pusa’t Aso, Kaligtasan ng Pamilyang Pilipino”, speaker Ms. Jenny Alabado, RMT, Regional Rabies Coordinator stressed that “Rabies is a horrific way to die. Once symptoms show, it is 99.9% fatal. However, it is 100% preventable.”

Meanwhile, speaker Dr. Enrique Miguel Degamo, MPH, MO III, added that Dogs are primarily responsible for rabies virus transmission to humans.

Among the topics tackled, Dr. Mary Ann S. Valdez, Veterinarian IV, Malaybalay City Veterinary Office also discussed about RA 9482, or Anti- Rabies Act of 2007, prescribing penalties for pet owners violating this act.

Provincial Health Office Rabies Prevention and Control Program Coordinator, Mr. Carlo C. Calleja, have reported Rabies Case Status of Bukidnon and Malaybalay City has Zero case of Human Rabies for year 2022.

The activity was facilitated by the City Health Office Rabies Team, Dr. Susan Marie S. PunongBayan, Nurse Coordinator Maila A. Manuel, Assitant Nurse Coordinator Frances Charmaine Lazalita, Marlyn Bagonoc, staffs Noel Michael Mutya, Daphne Castillo with the help of the National Health Worker Support System – Nurse Deployment Program of the Department of Health.

Further, Dr. Susan Punongbayan reminded us about ONE Health approach that helps protect the health of all living beings and imparted a closing phrase “Kagat Aso, Patay Tao.”

In addition, the City Health Office – Rabies Prevention and Control Program continues to provide services through the presence of our Animal Bite Center which is open every Monday and Thursday at the CHO, and via information dissemination by doing lectures and distribution of leaflets with the help of the Midwives, Human Resource for Health and Community Volunteer Health Workers in the Barangays.

Malaybalay City Veterinary Office also assisted during the activity to provide free Dog vaccination. (PR)

Bukidnon farmers dominate regional coffee competition

Seven farmers from Pangantucan, Bukidnon were awarded for their quality coffee beans during the first Northern Mindanao Coffee Quality Competition. The awarding was held in Malaybalay, Bukidnon last March 18, 2023

Based on DTI Region 10, the coffee quality competition consists of two categories; the Arabica category and Robusta category.

Manolito Garces of New Eden, Pangantucan placed first for his Arabica coffee beans with 87.13% rating. Followed by Aiza Inahan from Pigtauranan, Pangantucan, Bukidnon with 85.15%; Arnold Pina of Pigtauranan, Pangantucan with 84.19%; Marion Inahan also from Pigtauranan, Pangantucan with 83.75%; MILFACO from Miarayon, Talakag, Bukidnon with 82.94; and Aurora Chiong form Claveria, Misamis Oriental with 81.40%.

Meanwhile, Primitiva Mahumot still from Pigtauranan, Pangantucan, Bukidnon won first place in the Robusta category with a rating 84.38%; 2nd place is Ranel Balatero from Pigtauranan, Pangantucan with 83.31%; 3rd is Noel Duyongan from Kibenton, Impasug-ong, Bukidnon with 83.25%; Marvin Dagohoy in 4th place from Pigtauranan, Pangantucan with 82.63%; and Dennis Ong in 5th place from Claveria, Misamis Oriental with 81.5%.

The competition was held last March 14-17, 2023 at the Coffee Cupping Laboratory of Central Mindanao University (CMU), Bukidnon. (MG Mayumi B. Madera)

DA-10 continues rollout of financial aid to Bukidnon rice farmers

Kibawe, Bukidnon – A total of 3,472 rice farmers in the towns of Kibawe, Dangcagan, Kadingilan, Don Carlos, and Pangantucan in Bukidnon received P5,000 in cash aid on January 11-13, as the Department of Agriculture – Region 10 (DA-10) continue rolling out the Rice Farmers Financial Assistance (RFFA) in said localities, for the 2022-2023 dry cropping season

The RFFA is given to smallholder rice farmers tilling rice areas not exceeding two hectares and registered to the Registry System for Basic Sectors in Agriculture (RSBSA), the DA’s official registry of farmers, fisherfolk, and farm laborers.

According to DA-10 OIC- Regional Executive Director Carlene C. Collado, the agency is fast-tracking the RFFA distribution to the rice farmers in Northern Mindanao in the aftermath of shear line to agricultural areas in the region late last year, and the continuing weather disturbance early in 2023.

“We intend to roll out the RFFA in the fastest way we can. We assure our RFFA beneficiaries they will receive their aid as soon as we have ironed out our coordination with the LGUs,” Collado said.

For the 2022-2023 Dry Cropping Season, the DA-10 has allocated Php237-M funds for the RFFA to benefit 46,161 eligible rice farmers across the region.

The RFFA is funded under the Rice Competitiveness Enhance Fund (RCEF) by virtue of the Rice Tariffication Law (RTL) and is intended to compensate for the increasing farm inputs prices and fluctuating palay buying prices.

With the RFFA, it is hoped that the rice farmers will be able to sustain their farm production and augment their earnings. (DA RFO-10)

Biz chamber’s Bioco is now Acting NFA Chief

MALAYBALAY CITY – President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has appointed a Bukidnon-based business leader as the new acting administrator and member of the National Food Authority (NFA) Council as of Jan. 18, 2023.

Roderico R. Bioco, president of the Bukidnon Giant Bamboo (BGB) Resources Corporation, is a former chair of the Bukidnon Kaamulan Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc. He has replaced Judy Dansal, who Duterte appointed in 2019.

The former governor of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry – Northern Mindanao took his oath for the NFA top post on Jan. 18 before Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin.

As NFA Acting Administrator, Bioco also sits in the NFA Council as vice chairperson. The council is chaired by the agriculture secretary, which is con-currently held by President Marcos. (BukidnonNews.Net)

105 ka FRs sa Valencia City miyembro na sa PhilHealth

VALENCIA CITY, Bukidnon (PIA)–Siyento singko (105) ka mga kanhi rebelde sa New People’s Army sa syudad sa Valencia, Bukidnon ang miyembro na sa PhilHealth dihang nakadawat sila sa ilang Member’s Data Records (MDRs) ug ID cards niadtong Enero 11.

Si Regional Vice President Delio A. Aseron sa PhilHealth Northern Mindanao miingon nga gusto sa gobyerno nga ipakita ang patas nga serbisyo sa tanang Pilipino.

“Kayo po aming mga kapatid na mga ‘former rebels’ ang importanteng bisita ngayon dahil dito po nais ipakita ng ating pamahalaan na tayo ay iisa—pantay-pantay po tayo. Dahil kung tayo ay magkakasakit pantay tayong makalatag sa banig ng karamdaman,” matud ni Aseron.

Gipasabot ni Aseron sa mga kanhi rebelde nga dako kaayo kini nga tabang tungod kay matud niya “Napakahirap magkasakit. Magkaproblema tayo sa gastusin at diyan po papasok ang tulong pinansyal ng PhilHealth. Bagamat bawat sakit ay may corresponding na halaga, ang importante po ay wala na tayong mga kababayan na mangamba na pumunta sa hospital dahil may programa ang PhilHealth. May katuwang na kayo sa gastusin.”

Samtang si Romulo Lapuz Jr, ang Chief sa PhilHealth Bukidnon, miingon nga ang tanang Pilipino mahimong miyembro sa PhilHealth. Busa gidasig niya ang ubang pang mga kanhi rebelde nga wala pa makaparehistro nga dili magduha-duha sa pag-adto sa ilang buhatan tungod kay andam ang PhilHealth nga mo-giya ug motabang kanila sa pagpa-enrol aron mahimong miyembro sa PhilHealth.

Dako ang pasalamat ni Marestela Bitago ngadto sa PhilHealth. Miingon siya nga makapatambal na sila sa lain-laing hospital gamit ang ilang PhilHealth ID cards.

“Nalipay ko’g dako kay sulod sa pito ka tuig sa akong pagka-aktibista, karon nako napamatud-an nga naa gyud ang tabang sa gobyerno, labi na sa mga kabus. PhilHealth member na ko karon. Dako kaayo ni ug ikatabang sa akong pamilya. Busa nagpasalamat ko’g dako sa Philhealth,” dugang ni Bitago. (BGE/PIA 10-Bukidnon)